What Permits Do You Need to Extend a Home? 

Have you decided to undertake an extension of your current home, but you’re unsure of where to begin? Well before you can get down the details of your renovation project, you should think about what permits are necessary for your extension.

In Victoria, residential construction projects will require either a planning permit, a building permit, or both. According to the 1993 Building Act and 2018 Building Regulations legislature, all building work requires a building permit, unless it is covered by an exemption. If you’re confused, your builder and local council should be about to offer advice and confirm what permits you need to get stuck into your home project.

Read on to find out about what exactly a building and planning permit is and whether they apply to your extension project.

What is a planning permit?

Simply put, planning permits allow you to use or develop your land for residential purposes. This permit is usually issued by your local council and is required for new homes, extensions, renovations and any additional dwelling you want to construct on the land. So, if you’re looking to undertake an extension project, this permit is essential.

A planning permit is required before you can be issued with a building permit, which will allow you to begin construction. Usually for a planning permit application, you will need to submit your proposed design, a planning report, shadow diagrams and other information that will be relevant to the council. A town planner may be able to help you with this process.

What is a building permit?

A building permit, on the other hand, is a document certifying that your construction is complies with building regulations. This is approved by a private or municipal building surveyor. By having a building permit, you will be able to undertake construction that follows your approved plans and specifications.

Not only does this permit allow you to build, but it provides protection, ensuring that you have obtained the necessary documentation and that your home is suitable for occupation. The progress of your build will also be independently inspected, which is important to ensure quality and proficiency.

A building permit is not needed for minor alterations, pergolas, repair work or the installation of a small garden shed. But for a home extension project it will certainly be needed. You can obtain a building permit from a registered building surveyor, to who you will need to provide three copies of drawings, specifications and other relevant information.

So then, what permits do I need to extend my home?

Firstly, you will need to receive a planning permit. Then you can work with a registered building surveyor to obtain a building permit. Once you have both ready, you can then get started on your dream extension project!

Of course, engaging a Design + Build construction company early on means they can guide you through the permit process. They will oversee your planning and design and be able to lodge applications on your behalf where possible.

If you’re looking to work with a friendly and experienced full service builder in Melbourne, get in touch with the team at Nicon Built Design + Build today.

Ready to start your building journey?

Download Our Free Guide

Read our Ultimate Guide To Building Your Architectural Home