Thinking of downsizing? Kids have left home, and you don’t need the space anymore? Is your home too much work to maintain? Well, you are not the first to be thinking this way and you won’t be the last. There comes a time in our lives when it’s time to downsize.
We’ve helped hundreds of people at this time in their lives to change to a more practical home life. Below are our 6 tips for downsizers and empty nesters.
- Don’t go too small. – Many downsizes go from big properties to ones that are too small and narrow. They get the keys, move in and feel claustrophobic as they are living right on top of their neighbors. The key is to go smaller but not too small – give yourself some space.
- Downsize to less rooms but good size rooms.Just because you are downsizing doesn’t mean you should live in a shoe box. Have less rooms but big rooms. This way the home will feel spacious and roomy. You never know when the grand kids are going to visit, and they are going to spread toys around the whole house when they do.
- Make the room you use amazing.Having a smaller home means you should splurge a little on the areas you use and love. Have the amazing kitchen, living area, en suite, bedroom. Do it for yourself.
- Zone the home. Make sure you can close off areas that aren’t being used every day. If you’re not using them you shouldn’t have to clean them. Have the areas you frequently use accessible without having to moving through areas you don’t use every day. For example, don’t have the laundry near the empty minor bedrooms. Have it off the kitchen. Close off the rear passage as its only needed when visitors come to stay. This way you only have to maintain part of the home.
- Choose your home location wisely. Living too far from your grandkids makes it hard for you to drop in for a quick hello. Or alternatively don’t make going to the grandparents a big event as young kids don’t like long drives. If the trip is too hard then its less likely to happen. Try and be in as close a proximity as you can.
- Double use rooms. If you have a hobby room let it double as the grandkids bedroom. You can always clear the space if they come over. It just means you have less to clean the other days of the year.
Our highly trained team at Nicon Built have a huge amount of experience in helping to make your dream a reality. Get in touch today to discuss downsizing your home.